I hope you’re getting a break, some time away from work before the new year.
If you’re able, carve out a pocket of time for the following:
- Grab a pen and notepad. Make a cup of tea or coffee or hot chocolate or whatever feels relaxing. Find a big chair and a quiet corner.
- Take stock of your accomplishments, achievements, and obstacles surmounted over the last year. Write them down, both professional and personal. You’ll be surprised by all that a year can hold. Appreciate and take in the good.
- Next, fast forward to this time next year. What do you want to be writing down? To be celebrating and appreciating? To be on the way toward? To be proud of? Really think about that.
- Consider the one thing that will likely make the greatest difference in getting there. Note that may not mean doing or adding something new but, rather, discerning what it is that you’re already doing well and finding ways to leverage it. It could mean doing less. These are important distinctions.
- Make a clear plan with measures and milestones for doing this one thing. Plug them into your calendar.
- Put your answers to question #3 in an envelope and tuck it away in a safe place (that you’ll remember!). Mark a date 6 months from now on your calendar to open the envelope and check in with yourself.
- Amidst the travel and cooking and wrapping and rushing, make a point to savor and drink in those who make your life rich with connection and joy. Tell them. Better yet, write a note telling them.
- Spend some time in nature and reconnect to its wonder. Stand and just look at the trees. Or the horizon. Or the vastness of the ocean. If you can combine this with people and animals that you love, all the better.
- If you haven’t already, consider registering for the cost-free webinar I’m offering on January 11th at 11am ET: “Designing and Executing Your Personalized Strategic Leadership Plan in 2023” which will help with #4+5 above. It will be 45 minutes of practical content and answering your questions. To reserve your spot, email me directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
- And if you’re leveling up in the new year, consider investing in your success. There is no better time than now. Drop me a note to discuss the best ways for working together to accomplish your aspirations: email@example.com