Because we want to know what happens next, and we want to know the end of the story. I’m convinced it’s a human need, kind of hard-wired into us, this desire to know.
Which is why I’m telling all of my clients right now that their messaging to their teams and their customers is critical.
None of us has the end of the story, much less what is going to happen next.
We can fill in the blank for NOW. If we don’t, people will fill in the story for themselves. Often with a narrative that is unhelpful to them and to their full participation and effort.
So, on messaging to your teams:
- Be candid about the situation and what you don’t know; acknowledge that this is not an easy time. Anything else will be sniffed out immediately as untrue.
- After that acknowledgement, define the possibility that’s in front of everyone. Opportunities for their best, sharpest most innovative and creative thinking. Time for experimentation and exploring new markets and products. You get the idea.
- Provide connection to meaning and contribution for their work in this context of challenge and possibility, including what the organization is doing to help in the crisis, internally and out in the world
- Be as specific as possible when providing those examples, giving ‘shout outs’ to team members
- Make your messaging clear and consistent. One of my clients is sending out an end-of-week summary that we’ve mapped along these lines. Every Friday. Another is beginning the week with theirs.
In times of crisis, we look to our leaders for frame and the context.
For the story.
This is your opportunity as a leader to tell a story that is true, real, and future-focused, lest your team binge on the wrong narratives.
Stay tuned next for essentials of messaging to clients and customers.
For more on working with me directly: email@example.com I work with CEOs and senior executives who are courageous, talented, successful, and want to make their mark.
Magnificent Leadership® Ascension – Private Leadership Guidance Program
Your leadership matters more than ever. And you likely need a sounding board and an outside perspective more than ever. During this crisis and beyond, there will be leaders who not only ascend in their own trajectory but rise to this difficult occasion, who bear the tremendous weight and responsibility with grace and courage. Those leaders will steer themselves and their organizations into the future.
And they are my clients.
MLA is for those leaders at, or approaching, their apex. It gives you access to the CEO and executive leadership tools that matter the most and it’s designed to meet you where you are right now: wanting more guidance and perspective more often.
And not always during regular business hours.
Ever wonder how some leaders allow themselves to be forged by crisis rather than folding to it? They’re composed under tremendous pressure, respected, and have the influence necessary to lead high-stakes initiatives. They’re at ease under the bright lights of visibility and responsibility and are communicative and compassionate. They find the right words and take the right actions during difficult situations. They’re confident talking to the front line or the Board and are comfortable in their own skin. They build teams that will follow them anywhere. They have remarkable success in their industries. And their ascension is often faster than their peers.
That’s not an accident.
MLA is my premiere executive offering for exceptional CEOs and senior leaders who are leading during these high stakes, never-before-navigated times.
- Concierge service with unrestricted, unlimited, direct access to me via text, phone, and email
- After-hours responsiveness to address time-sensitive matters of urgency
- Confidential and discreet sounding board
- Objective insight and best practices drawn from a broad range of clients and industries
- Customized half day strategic leadership session to create a personalized leadership business plan
- Magnificent Leadership® Inventory for leveraging your strengths and identifying gaps
- Priority access to my calendar
- Monthly deep dive, proactive strategic sessions
- Guaranteed invitation to my Magnificent Leadership® Virtual Executive Dinners program, where you can discuss issues of greatest significance with select peers in an informal, confidential setting
- 10% discount on any of my other offerings
Because you need a guide during these times, someone who provides an experienced, outside perspective at critical moments, someone whose sole objective is your success, someone who’s in your corner, and knows both your concerns and your aspirations.
Due to the highly customized and concierge nature of this signature offering, I’m only accepting 4 more clients into the MLA program for the entire year. Write to me to inquire: firstname.lastname@example.org